Monday, April 23, 2012

Easter Lily

This post is written by my sister. I'm hoping this is the beginning of many guest posts.

We all have had pivotal moments in our lives when we have an awakening. Situations can be so obvious in some ways and other times life has to hit you in the face. Alzheimer's has a way of catching you off guard sometimes.

I have been very allergic to various flowers all my life, especially Easter lilies. Spring brings with it beautiful lilacs, flowering trees and bushes, and Easter lilies. I spend weeks sneezing and avoiding the fragrances of spring.

Several years ago I arrived home to find a huge beautiful Easter lily on my kitchen table with a card leaning up against it. I asked my husband where it came from with thoughts that I needed to get it out of my house as soon as possible. He shook his head with a little bit of regret and told me to open the card. My mind was searching for who would send me such a gift as ANYONE who has known me knows of my allergies.
 "Well it has to be some one who doesn't know me!" I opened the card and was confused when I saw it was from my mom and started to cry, realizing right away, like a slap, that all our fears about her were true.

 I went to thank her (they were living in our in-law apt at the time.) I thanked her for the beautiful lily and ended with "I don't know if I can keep it in the house." With a confused look, she asked "Why?" I answered with "because of my allergies."  Her flat response; "I never knew you had allergies." For years my mom had always bought me purple tulips at Easter (her favorite color.)

Over the years I have planted them and each spring I am reminded of the mother, my mother, that knew I was allergic to Easter lilies.




No comments:

Post a Comment