Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bunny rabbits....




There was a time that my my mom was a repeater. She would repeat stories over and over.  And I mean over and over.  Once they moved to their current residence, (a progressive care/assisted living facility), an old story became a new "repeat". When I was 4, my mother dressed me up like a bunny and took me to this very same nursing home to visit the residents. She would go on and on about me hopping around. It was a sweet memory for her. A bit embarrassing for me to be the topic of her rambling story in which she would just interject in a normal conversation. My mother was losing the ability to have spontaneous conversation so she used her files of stories as conversation. Some fit but most were out of context of the conversation. Each story was told exactly the same. Some were true, some were made up with mixed information.




So there we were celebrating my parents 60th Anniversary, two days before Easter. My daughter and grandchildren had made the trip with me. So what did we do? We let them hop around the nursing home wearing bunny ears, bringing smiles to my mom and the other residents. Just like she did with me and my brother. A good investment of time. It was amazing how much old people enjoy seeing the children. Good memories. Who knows? Maybe it will be a story that I repeat. 



                                                              Four generations



1 comment:

  1. After reading this post many times, tonight I got a big laugh when I read my my mom is a repeater, haha...

    ReplyDelete