Friday, March 23, 2012

Heritage, the good, the bad, the ugly....

I grew up in a home where my parents strived to obey God and love Jesus. I too, love Jesus and strive to obey God and attempted to pass that along to my kids and grandchildren. I have a wonderful heritage where my family passed on their love for God. That's been a good thing. My dad can trace family all the way back to the Mayflower. 

Not so good stuff, that we have passed along is over eating. My mom has struggled with her weight her whole adult life. Me too, always striving to get to that healthy weight. I'm not talking about that skinny , perfect weight but a healthy weight.  Poor eating habits were passed to my kids and grand kids :( This makes me so sad. I'm working to change that by example, of living a healthy lifestyle now.
Diseases seen in our family are  ovarian cancer, testicular cancer, hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes and now Alzheimer's.  Alzheimer's is by far the most devastating.  It is a disease that kills the mind while allowing the body to remain alive. 

1 comment:

  1. we all pass along good and not so good. you described it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete