Friday, March 23, 2012

Fear

I have fear. Fear, that I will also get Alzheimer's . My sibling share this fear. I have two close friends whom mothers also have had Alzheimer's. They share this fear. My sister gave me the news that someone with a mother with Alzheimer's Disease is 40% more likely to get it. I haven't looked it up, I hope she is wrong. We've often joked that we could all be together in one home, but the sad thing is, we won't know each other. That, at least would make visiting easier, beacause visiting is hard. 





So what to do to be proactive and preventative ..... 
"They" say that learning something new later in life helps, so I'm hoping that nursing school qualifies for that. Exercising mind and body helps, so I have recently lost weight and try to exercise every day. I play words with friends with my sister in the morning and at night. We usually have 10+ games going. Healthy eating helps, so I have just completed a nutrition course. Treating  depression aggressively is supposed to help and any one with Alzheimer's probably is pretty depressed over it.  One friend just saw a study that says nicotine improves cognitive abilities, so we all might go out and get the patch and give it a try or not.... Being social helps, so we do enjoy being social!  Alzheimer's is not so much painful physically but it very painful emotionally. It affects relationships like no other disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment