Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do we have a daughter named Lynda?



As the disease progressed, I knew the day would come when my mother wouldn't know me.  I didn't like testing her, so often, I would enter the room and say "hi mom, it's me, Lynda, I'm your daughter". She usually would smile and seem pleased to see me and make a comment like it's so nice to see you. She sometimes called me by name. When quized, she could sometimes figure it out. Many times she would refer to my sister and I as her sisters. It wasn't till later that we realized she had just lost the word daughter and was susbstituting the word daughter for sister.
Then one day, it happened.. I knelt next to her, and I said, (I remember it so clearly), " hi mom, it's me, Lynda, I am your daughter". She looked at my father and asked, "Do we have a daughter named Lynda?" He looked at me and said "yes, we do". Then my mom looked at me, smiled and said "ok". She was satisfied with his answer. I smiled and tried not to cry. All along and  even still, my mother has looked to my father for re-assurance and confirmation during her illness. He has been absolutely wonderful with her. She trusts him. The one thing you need when you have Alzheimer's is someone you can trust.  That was a very sad day for me. I cried most of the way home. I am so glad that even months later, mom still knows Dad.

1 comment:

  1. she definitely knew him Saturday when we went into her room. Me... not so much.

    ReplyDelete