Sunday, May 20, 2012

Happy 84th Birthday



Happy 84th Birthday Mom





My mom turns 84 today. She doesn't know it. Last week we gathered to celebrate. We had to think about what was her favorite dessert. It took the grandkids to remember. They recalled her asking after dinner, "anyone want ice cream?" and then, "anyone want ice cream with strawberries?" I don't remember her favorites anymore, well except for the color purple. My mother loves the color purple or as she called it, lavender. 


We celebrated with vanilla ice cream and strawberries. She fed herself and ate every bite! I think I'll try to bring strawberries all summer!  It's always good to see her, just sad. My Dad had been here visiting for a few days. She still knew him when we brought him back, for which we are so thankful. I got a smile, a hug and a "I love you too", which I absolutely cherish. The staff has put a Happy Birthday sign by her door. Maybe she'll get a few more smiles or a few more social interactions. Dad took her to the "Big Party" where all the May Birthdays and Anniversaries are celebrated on Friday. She had more ice cream and a cupcake. One cool discovery was that she can still read. She was able to read her birthday cards. We are pretty sure she doesn't comprehend what she reads, but she could still read.


Hope your day is happy, I miss you!



1 comment: