Sunday, October 13, 2013

Longevity

Writing this blog gets to me sometimes, mostly its therapeutic but sometimes it's just emotionally too hard. After a long break, I am back at it, here's one from February I never got around to posting.

February was a big birthday month. We had the privilege of having both my dad and father in law visit for their birthdays. We gathered the kids and grand kids and made lots of their favorite foods.

two men, two birthdays...


94 years old
My Father in law turned 94 on February 13, 2013. He's a good guy. We celebrated with omelets. sticky  buns and a birthday dinner of Scottish meat pie. My husband flew with him to Florida where he'll spend three months with my brother in law. Dad lives alone and has stopped driving. His son in law is his main caretaker. Richard drives him to appointments and grocery shopping and checks on him daily. His hearing isn't so good. His hearing aides work ok. He makes odd sounds, one in which we call his hootie owl sound. He has a good sense of humor.  He is able to still take care of his own medications. His mind is good. He's lonely and misses his wife, Mary, very much.


90 years old

My Dad turned 90 on February17th. We had a party with all my siblings. We brought him clam chowder all the way from Maine. I was able to then bring him to our house for a few days. He requested blueberry pancakes and roast beef with potatoes and carrots for his birthday dinners. He is in good health. He doesn't hear well either and his hearing aides don't work very well. One is usually lost or broken. His mind is pretty good. He is an avid reader and reads at least one book a week. My dad visits my mom (who has Alzheimer's disease) twice a day. He eats dinner with a group of men that also live at the progressive care facility where he lives. He wants to live to 100.


And this is our cat, the equivelent of 90 years old. I think he might live to 100 too!



So there you have it, longevity turns out different for everyone. Some go to bed praying they won't wake up, others want to live to be 100 and some just keep plugging along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment